- Craig Smith was rumored at one point to have been hired by Drake for the Head Coach position, but he turned it down to remain at South Dakota. Further proving that the Summit League is better than Drake.
- South Dakota was able to pick up Nebraska transfer Nick Fuller. Fuller averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game as a junior for the Huskers. Several Nebraska and Omaha fans I’ve talked to over the last few years questioned if Fuller would have even started at Omaha, but agree that he would at least have been in their main rotation. Fuller actually came off the bench in the Coyotes’ exhibition game against Sioux Falls. We’ll see what 2 points and 1 rebound at Nebraska equates to in the Summit League. My guess is: 7 points and 5 rebounds.
- In the Coyotes’ exhibition game, they beat D2 Sioux Falls by 9. They also, oddly, did not play any of their freshmen…at all.
- Gave up the fewest points per game on defense in the Summit League last season.
- The Coyotes made the most free throws in the Summit League last season AND had the worst free throw percentage as a team.
- The Coyotes were 8th in the Summit League in three point field goals made last season AND three point field goal percentage as a team.
- With 8 eligible upperclassmen on scholarship, they are the oldest team in the Summit League this season.
- Vermillion has the smallest population for any city in the Summit League. If you want to call it a city.