IUPUI is heading for the Horizon League which is kind of sad because they were that program that was okay at everything and always felt like they were going to be solid in everything in 2 years.
Here are some random notes to consider about what to consider about this situation.
- You’ll get to watch 2 less games of your school going up against the Jaguars in basketball on ESPN3. (Seriously, every single game of IUPUI’s was on ESPN3)
- Summit League fans will be a little confused if they should still count themselves as the “Conference that had George Hill.” It’s as confusing as when the Big Ten Network brags up their relationship with the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers.
- Denver will probably complain just a little bit less about geography. Not really, but maybe?
- Summit League fans can finally stop considering making a trip to Indianapolis to see their team play IUPUI (and by that we mean just make an excuse to go visit Indianapolis.)
- We have to decide who the new HOW IS THIS TEAM SOMEWHAT OKAY AND BEATING US AT HOME Summit League team is. I nominate South Dakota.
- What school can we speculate will be the program the Summit League needs to add the most to keep Fort Wayne sane? Someone in Kentucky, Illinois, or Indiana. Actually, let’s just set the Fort Wayne to Another Conference Clock at 4 Minutes to Midnight. The Denver version still needs to be reset from when the power went out.
- You’re going to miss Jason Gardner a whole lot more than you’re going to miss IUPUI.
- You might feel a little sorry for Fort Wayne right now. The closest Summit League school to them is Western Illinois. That’s a 6 hour drive. All 25 sports of their sports fans are feeling this one today. Also, the couple hundred people who pretended to be Mastodon fans after they beat Indiana should notice this in a couple years, too.
- You’re going to miss out on seeing the progress of that one freshman that was going to eventually transfer to a D2 school or disappear off the face of the Earth.
- There is going to be a Horizon League versus Summit League Challenge now, right? Sign us up for Milwaukee versus Omaha!
- You’ll never really know who is better between North Dakota and IUPUI in sports stuff. That will sting for a while.