It was one of the most stressful games I have seen in a while, but the Mavericks got the win, so I cannot complain. There were some teaching moments, and there was also some great aggressive plays from the Mavericks. I was kind of upset in the first game that the score board did not tell you how many points and fouls the players had. I am super glad this got fixed. The battery on my phone was getting pissed at me for having to look it up every couple minutes.
- The Shock Top stand is not open on weeknight games I guess. I just wanted Twisted Pretzel.
- Kareem Richardson just always looks like he is ready to leave as quickly as possible. He’s done a great job at UMKC though. I doubt he is in Kansas City too much longer.
- The first time I saw Shayok Shayok, he is was 6’6″, and now he is listed at 6’9″. Why can’t I grow like that?
- My favorite thing about the MavX ap is that it tells you the menus of all the concession stands in the Baxter Arena. My wife is an extremely healthy eater, so usually when we go to sporting events we spend a half hour walking around the entire arena finding her something healthy to eat. The ap cuts down on this time, and that has pretty much made my year.
- Tra-Deon Hollins court awareness is just unreal. I feel like he is in training to be The Flash. In the Flash, they just shoot arrows and other objects at him to see if he can catch everything. Hollins has a way of making it appear as if the opposing team is just throwing the ball at him to see if he can catch it.
- Jake White appeared that he had something to prove against UMKC. Not that it ever looks like he’s ready to put on an open mic stand up comedy routine, but he looked like he knew he had a task to stay out on the court and to not let UMKC get any offensive boards. He was fighting out there. The Mavs let up a few key offensive boards, but it is going to happen no matter what you do sometimes. The Mavs only gave up 9 offensive rebounds this game, and Jake White had a big role in keeping the ‘Roos off the glass.
- LaVell Boyd and Martez Harrison might one of the three best back courts the Mavs play this year.
- Another guy who looks as serious as the Terminator trying to hunt down Sarah Connor is Tim Smallwood. He’s the Timinator. He’s constantly ready put up a three, and he chases after his misses, and he’s hustled his ass off the last two games after not getting much time against Santa Barbara. That is exactly what you want out of a senior guard. His near coast to coast drive was something we did not see much out of him last season.
- I know that UMKC made quite a bit a threes in the game, the Kangaroos did find some wide open looks from the perimeter, but the Mavs did contest a lot of those shots. Just being that the Mavs are forcing so many threes, you can tell that teams are maybe a bit nervous about having to get through Devin Patterson and Tra-Deon Hollins…The Devil’s Gate. The ‘Roos had some threes from big guys, there are not many bigs in The Summit that can hit multiple threes a game.
- I felt like I was watching the pre-LeBron James Miami Heat play the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals in the second half. The Heat that year just put the ball in Dwayne Wade’s hands and kept having him drive to the basket because of the all the fouls. Why do I feel like this? The ‘Roos had 37 fouls in the game. The Mavericks were 36-48 from the free throw line. When the Mavs came down the court down 83-80, I was thinking it would almost be dumb to shoot a three. It seemed like the Mavericks were stuck at 5 of 18 on threes for the past 15 minutes, and I was looking at the fouls and just saying that: I would bet money here that UMKC will make a dumb foul here.
- We need to keep getting more excited for Zach Jackson. Out of the three freshmen on this year’s team, he had the least known about him coming into the year. He makes a few odd decisions, but for the most part he plays great, and what college freshman doesn’t make a couple questionable decision in his first three college basketball games. There are seniors out there making poor decisions on the court. Near the end of the game, there was an overthrown pass to him that went out of bounce and some guy near me was pissed that he didn’t try and save the ball. Really, had he thrown the ball back it could have gone to an opposing player and UMKC would have been off to the races at the end of the game and anything could have happened. Jackson is a high IQ player, the Mavs need that for a guy that is filling in. I made this point earlier, the Mavs are asking less out of their newcomers compared to other Summit League teams. Others are asking newcomers to be stars right away, the Mavs are asking the newcomers to be role players…this has to be something that will pay off.
- Growing increasingly nervous about this team’s three point shooting as we head to The Summit League, but the Mavericks advantage is going to be Patterson and Hollins breaking down the defense and getting into the lane. The Summit does not have a bunch of post players, White and Thurman could be 2 of the top 5 post players in the Summit League.
- This game needed a little cowbell toward the end of the game.
- Tre’Shawn Thurman literally wiped the floor tonight. He was playing like he was in a video game, and his player rating kept rising because of his great play. He’s added some moves, he was feeling it, and was incredibly focused. He just looked more relaxed at the free throw line tonight, which I thought showed with 7 of 9 from the line. Thurman has the highest ceiling of any Maverick that we have seen in a while. When people walk into the Baxter Arena, they immediately take notice of the muscle he put on.
- Kelley Wollak did a great job as the MC in timeouts. I feel bad with her being on crutches out there though. I was a little bummed that Mikaela Shaw could not be in Omaha and Grand Forks at the same time. It feels like it could have been a Bill Brasky level of story that Mav fans could have screamed at a bar in the future. ONE TIME MIKAELA SHAW RAN FROM GRAND FORKS TO OMAHA SO SHE COULD GIVE OUT A FREE OIL CHANGE AND THEN SHE RAN BACK TO GRAND FORKS TO DROP 19 ON NORTH DAKOTA….TO MIKAELA SHAW!!!!
- Every win is needed, but this was a much needed win for the Mavericks. UMKC is an improved team, and going on a three game road swing after going 1-2 would have been…I think my brain just tried to escape my head.
- Who else sat there entire time asking: Why is UMKC in the WAC?
Elsewhere in The Summit
Western Illinois beat Illinois-Chicago 84-57. Jabari Sandifer had 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists. JC Fuller had 19 points and 9 rebounds. Garret Covington had 17 points and 3 rebounds. The Leathernecks are making us all look like idiots.